11/02/2011

All Saints,Halloween and Day of the Dead

November 1,2011
So today is All Saints Day..One of the trinity of days in the fall I love to walk through....a chance to remember.....a chance to respect and a chance to be thankful.....a chance to be grateful.
Yesterday was Halloween.I only had a few trick or treaters.....but one of them made quite an impression...I was about ready to turn all the lights off and I heard quite a thump at the front door. I answered the door and there was a really nice teenaged boy standing there with a big smile...I told him I had run out of bubble gum but that I had a few rubber fingers I could give him...He was delighted and so polite.I threw a handful of "fingers" into his pillow case....as he turned I noticed he was by himself (I had assumed he had a buddy with him)He jumped on his skateboard and was off to the next house....Maybe it was because he was by himself ....maybe it was because he seemed to not care that he was by himself...maybe it was because he was trick or treating on a skateboard....maybe it was because he had such a positive energy and passion for life (and candy) I wished I had...whatever it was,I thought about him alot...in one way it was kind of sad...in another way it was very inspiring.
So it is the skateboarding trick or treater who has become a modern day saint for me and in whom I am grateful on this day.

No comments: